Canning is a traditional method of preserving food that has been practiced for centuries.
It allows you to enjoy fresh produce long after the growing season has ended, and it’s a great way to add flavor and variety to your meals.
If you’re a fan of spicy food, canning your own peppers is a fantastic way to create a flavorful and versatile condiment that you can use in a variety of dishes.
Whether you’re looking to add some heat to your sandwiches, tacos, or salads, canned peppers are a must-have in any pantry.
In this recipe blog post, we’ll show you how to make your own canned peppers using simple ingredients and essential canning equipment.
Types of Chili Peppers:
There are many different types of chili peppers that you can use for this recipe.
Some popular options include Jalapeño, Habanero, Serrano, and Thai Bird’s Eye Chili peppers.
You can also experiment with different types to create a unique flavor profile that suits your taste buds.
Just be aware that some peppers are hotter than others, so be sure to adjust the amount you use depending on your heat tolerance.
It’s important to sterilize the jars before filling them with the peppers to prevent any bacteria or mold from growing.
To sterilize the jars, wash them in hot soapy water, rinse them thoroughly, and then place them in a large pot of boiling water for 10 minutes.
You can also use a dishwasher with a hot water cycle to sterilize the jars.
Boiling Water Bath
Processing the jars in a boiling water bath helps to seal the lids and prevent any bacteria from growing.
To do this, place the jars in a large pot of boiling water, making sure the water covers the jars by at least 1 inch.
Boil the jars for the recommended time (in this case, 15 minutes) and then remove them from the water using jar tongs. Let the jars cool completely before storing them.
Storing Canned Peppers
Once the jars have cooled completely, check to make sure the lids are sealed by pressing down on the center of the lid.
If it pops up and down, the jar is not sealed properly and should be refrigerated and used within a few weeks. Sealed jars can be stored in a cool, dark place for up to 1 year.
Incorporating Canned Peppers into Recipes
Canned peppers are a versatile condiment that can be used in a variety of dishes.
They add a spicy kick to sandwiches, burgers, tacos, and more.
You can also chop them up and mix them into salsa, guacamole, or hummus for added flavor.
The leftover brine can also be used as a marinade for chicken or pork.
Get creative and experiment with different recipes to find new and delicious ways to use your canned peppers.
- 1 pound of fresh chili peppers (any variety you prefer)
- 1 cup of white vinegar
- 1 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced
- Wash and dry the chili peppers, then slice them into rounds. Be sure to wear gloves while handling the peppers to avoid getting any of the spicy oils on your skin.
- In a small saucepan, combine the white vinegar, water, salt, and sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar and salt.
- Add the sliced garlic to the boiling liquid and stir to combine.
- Pack the sliced chili peppers tightly into sterilized jars, leaving about 1/2 inch of headspace at the top.
- Pour the hot liquid over the peppers, making sure to cover them completely and leaving about 1/4 inch of headspace at the top.
- Use a sterilized knife or skewer to remove any air bubbles from the jar, then wipe the rim of the jar clean with a clean, damp cloth.
- Seal the jars with sterilized lids and rings, then process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.
- Remove the jars from the water bath and let them cool completely before storing them in a cool, dark place for up to 1 year.
- Use gloves when handling the chili peppers to avoid getting any of the spicy oils on your skin.
- Experiment with different types of chili peppers to create different levels of heat and flavor.
- Use the canned peppers as a condiment for sandwiches, tacos, and more.
- Use the leftover brine as a marinade for chicken or pork.
Canning your own peppers is a fun and rewarding way to preserve the flavors of your favorite chili peppers. With just a few simple ingredients and some basic canning equipment, you can create a versatile and delicious condiment that will add a spicy kick to any dish. So why not give this canned peppers recipe a try and see how it can spice up your meals?